CREATING VIDEO INSTRUCTIONS AND NARRATED PRESENTATIONS USING SCREENCASTING SOFTWARE
WHAT IS SCREENCASTING?Wikipedia defines a screencast as a digital recording of a computer screen output, also known as a video screen capture, often containing audio narration.
A screencast is essentially a movie of the changes over time that a user sees on a computer screen, enhanced with audio narration.
There are two free options for creating screenscasts quickly.
- screencastomatic is best for laptops, computers, etc.
- offers up 15 minutes of screencasting at a time
- screencastify - Chrome app available on Chromebooks and other devices
- offers up to 10 minutes of screencasting at a time
LEARNING OPPORTUNITIESIn the classroom, screencasting is an opportunity for both educators and students:
- NARRATED PRESENTATIONS
- Students and Teachers create a slideshow or image, create a screencast while narrating the slideshow, and then 'present' the video to the class, or simply share it on YouTube
- Tell a story by creating a document and reading it while taking a screencast and then posting the video
- VIDEO INSTRUCTIONS
- Teachers and students can prepare step-by-step instructions on how to do almost any computer process by recording their screen as they do it